Thursday 3 June 2010

Interior Designer Shannon Bowers

Today I'd like to show you a once-dark, two-story Georgian house transformed into a haven of pale European furnishings bathed in sunlight. Interior designer Shannon Bowers from Dallas, Texas, restored her house using colours found in nature like robin's egg blue, light sand and the lavender of hydrangeas.

In Shannon's words: "When we saw this house, I just loved it. But it was mauve with dark wood floors, and it had mini-blinds blocking out the sun. I wanted more natural light, airiness and a fresh new look."

Inspired by Swedish furniture as well as the light shades of flooring in many European homes, she found a linen with a blue undertone that dictated the colors of the interiors. "Often I'll pick one fabric, and it will determine the palette for an entire house. The wall colour is also a derivative of that fabric."

Complementing the Swedish pieces are numerous French antiques that exude a similar aesthetic. "Most of the French furniture is from the Directoire period, so the lines are very clean, and those pieces work well with our Swedish furnishings."

Bowers wanted a consistent look throughout the home. "If I have antiques in the living room, I think they should also appear in the children's spaces. I want to share them with my whole family. I would like for my children to develop an appreciation for them just as I have as the daughter of an interior designer."

Lots of antiques in the living room: Swedish 19th-c. cabinet and horse, a French 18th-c. chair in linen, Louis XVI chair near Louis XV limestone mantel and French 19th-c. bistro tables. Columns and lamps from 18thc., Gustavian sofa, accent pillows in vintage Fortuny fabric and a Swedish table, c.1750.

Gustavian settee and pillows in French muslin. A 19thc. Trumeau.


Swedish, Dutch and French styles combined: Swedish chair, c.1800, in muslin, a Dutch 18th-c. table and an antique French sculpture on wall. The Oushak rug is c.1920.

In the dining area, a garden statue and milk jar, both 19th-c. French. Antique tole and porcelain flowers in zinc pots.

Above the 18thc. sideboard, antique French ceiling panels as art. Handmade cloth pears in antique Swedish dough bowl and an Italian iron topiary.

In the kitchen an iron table with marble top, Belgian 19th-c. chairs and curtains in French linen. French charcuterie table, lantern and overdoor carving, all 19thc.

In the dining area, garden statue and milk jar, both 19th-c. French. A Mora clock, an antique tole and porcelain flowers in zinc pots.

Swedish 18th-c. library table with 19th- and 20th-c. Chinese jars. French light fixture and a pair of 19th-c. fauteuils in vintage Fortuny fabric.

In this sitting area a custom armchair and sofa, antique Swedish ottoman and Belgian armchair, pillows in French muslin and feedsack fabric, iron 19th-c. floor lamps, Louis XVI bergère in French linen. A custom cotton dhurrie on the whitewashed floor.

In the master bedroom linen slipcovers on headboard and footboard, an antique French table and seagrass carpet.

Lovely nursery with bedding in linen by Ralph Lauren. The mirror, French horse tricycle and Orkney child's chair are all antiques. The light fixture is a vintage French hot-air balloon. Custom cotton dhurrie.

Hope you enjoyed this tour. I have linked this post over at The Inspired Room, Friday Favourites and Furniture Feature Friday. Thanks for the parties Melissa and Jessica and Miss Mustard Seed!

All images and information from Veranda.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments:

  1. There's so much to like about this house- the interior shutters, the trumeau mirror, the use of garden elements- all things I love myself. What's missing for me is a more personal touch- where's the warmth? No family pictures. Very spare walls. I'm wondering where her kitchen storage is- the shelves by the sink look more decorative than functional.
    The settee is amazing, but doesn't look comfortable. The dining room has great colors. I guess I'm missing a family touch. I think that's a common problem for Swedish style. Still, I enjoyed the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I love about this house, and Swedish interior design in general, is the relaxed elegance and fresh feeling that is created while still having a sense of depth and history. This house is a perfect example.

    Regarding Lisa's comment above, I suspect many of the personal items are missing simply because this was a professionally styled photo shoot. I think I'd want my personal and family items edited out of a national magazine too. It's a bit more fun to live in the dream... :-)

    Tricia - Avolli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kifus, my first thought when looking at your photos was formal friendly, very nice thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful beyond words. I'm seriously coveting this space, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this style. It's so peaceful and pretty. I love how the rustic things play off the refined pieces.

    I'm going to make a trumeau some day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous beyond words! While all the rooms are beautiful, I adore the kitchen. And the children's room, what a great room. It's not often that I see children's rooms done right, Shannon's is playful, young, and perfectly in style with the rest of her glorious home. Lidy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous! It's very rare that I see a home that I like everything in it...this one is an exception. Love it.
    xo, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. We did a piece on our blog about Shannon's kitchen and her Mother's which have some elements in common and are both beautiful. I do like this house and the wonderful quality of the Swedish pieces she's chosen. Nice to see all of it in seriatim, too. It does, however, have a "decorated" look to it -- as if she went out and bought the whole look. Lovely as it is, there's something missing for me. Hope you'll stop by if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to all of you for your comments. I'm off to visit all of you now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colors are so soft and beautiful. That sideboard is fantastic. I love the Italian topiary on it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello - I'm visiting from The Inspired Room! Thank you for sharing this beautiful house with us! The photos of each room are amazing. Love the soft colors.

    Blessings,
    Marie
    http://emmacallsmemama.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful home with a restful feel. I like the white with touches of neutrals and torquoise!My favorite is the sitting room with the garden stool..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually, now that I've looked again, I love the dining area with the tall clock....or maybe it's the kitchen. As you can tell, I'm kind of loving all of them! Thank you for sharing...and
    Thank you for your visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh....all of those rooms are gorgeous and really speaking my language. The one with the settee and the grain sack pillows especially jumped out at me. I saved it in my inspiration file. Thanks for sharing all of these beautiful photos with us each week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Widget By Devils Workshop